Monday, October 27, 2008

Marathon Mom

There are many, many things "nobody" tells you about pregnancy, childbirth and breastfeeding. There are more things people do not admit/concede/acknowledge than things they do.

One of these many, many things is that feeding your baby 8-10 times a day for 45 mintues to an hour each feeding can be...boring. I really want to be the person who gazes lovingly at my baby for 8 hours a day, needing nothing more than the sight of his sweet visage to satisfy me during the long hours. This is the behavior I imagine in some of my earthy-mom friends. And I do love the sight of Sweet Oliver's face. But the mind wanders.

So here is a list of the embarrassing things I've resorted to watching on TV during the past few weeks.

American's Next Top Model. I stumbled upon a marathon, but somehow managed to watch them out of order on the DVR. And yet it was not hard to follow. Sometimes I have to pause to let the awkwardness of Tyra's end-of-show proclamations wash away, but I always hit play again.

The Rachel Zoe Project. Utterly addictive, also watched via marathon. Perhaps the most transparent quest for catch-phrase stardom ever broadcast. And yet...I die.

A Boatload of CNN. I'm beginning to find Lou Dobbs tolerable, which probably means I need to switch to MSNBC. Election coverage makes me miss being a reporter (a little).

While feeding Logan in the exact same chair two years ago, I watched two straight seasons of Project Runway via Netflix. And so far, Logan seems fine. Although he does really, really like shoes.

2 comments:

Mandy Chalman said...

My favorite midnight breastfeeding show is Gilmore Girls. Just FYI, an episode comes on everyday on ABC Family. :) Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

i don't have a child to breastfeed 8-10 times a day and tune in AVIDLY for Rachel Zoe. Not only do I DIE, but it's BANANAS and my sunglasses will NEVER be big enough.