Tuesday, June 23, 2009

I'm Just Not That Into It

Has anyone noticed that Outliers has been on our reading list (see right) while dozens of other books have come and gone? Why can't I get into this book? I loved Freakonomics (thanks, JT!) and I expected to have a similar reaction to Outliers. (No, I haven't read Blink.)

Outliers is sitting on my bedside table and, literally, gathering dust. Also, cat hair, drool and some drippings from the medicine that goes into Ollie's nebulizer. I read the first two chapters, put it down (in January) and can't seem to pick it up. Now I think I've built up some kind of psychological resistance. This also happend with The Red Tent. I wanted to like these books but I can't...seem...to like...them.

Does this happen to anyone else? Start a book, want to like it, put it down, let the spiders make a home in it? Do I force myself through it or continue to use it as a coaster?

2 comments:

Tim Wilson said...

Whether or not you ever finish it will depend on your level of OCD. I've been known to start reading a second book that I know will be engaging, entertaining, and light (Carl Hiassen is always a slam-dunk there), but then force myself to read a chapter of the book that's good for me before I allow myself to read the lighter fluff. I've only truly abandoned a couple of books in my life due to lack of interest in the topic. But, then, my OCD is way high!

Emily said...

If I spent $ on it I push through almost no matter what.